01 January Today in History
According to Gregory calendar, 01 January, the day number 365 in a year and if it is a leap year then the day number is 366. January 01 has its own special significance in India and world history.
Here you will find some important events that happened in Indian and world History on 01 January.
Read more to know about 01 January Today in History.
List of Important Historical events of 1st January:
- 45: BC The Julian calendar takes effect for the first time
- 1600: New Year started in Scotland from 1 January instead of 25 March.
- 1651: Charles II Stuart became King of Scotland.
- 1700: The Gregorian calendar began to be used except for Western Europe and England.
- 1707: John V was crowned King of Portugal and Algarve in Lisbon.
- 1739: J. B. C. Bouvet de Lausier locates the island of Baveat near Antarctica.
- 1758: The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature establish the “starting point” for standardized species names across the animal kingdom, based on the binomial nomenclature by Carolus Linnaeus 10th edition of Systema Naturae
- 1767: William Trison, Governor of the Royal Colony of North Carolina, signed a contract with architect John Hawkes to build the Trishan Palace, a grand Georgian-style Governor’s mansion on the New Bern waterfront.
- 1776: General George Washington hoists the Continental Union flag.
- 1785: Daily Universal Register (Times of London) was published.
- 1785: The first issue of The Daily Universal Register, later known as The Times, was published in London.
- 1803: Alexander Balthazar Laurent Grimod de la Rénierre’s first edition of the Almanach des Gourmand published in Paris, the first guide to restaurant cooking.
- 1804: Haiti gained independence from France and became the first black republic, the only successful slave revolt.
- 1806: French Republican calendar was abolished.
- 1806: Kingdom of Bavaria was founded by Napoleon.
- 1812: Austrian Empire Bergerilichts Gestzbuch (Austrian Civil Code) came into force in the Austrian Empire
- 1817: Sailing through Sandwich Island Otto von Kotzebue explored New Year Island.
- 1831: William Lloyd Garrison began publishing the liberator, the slaveryist newspaper in Boston.
- 1844: New Rotterdam’s first edition of the daily (3x per week) was launched.
- 1847: Neath’s current publication in Harlem begins.
- 1849: France issued the country’s first postage stamp under the name Serus.
- 1852: Netherlands began issuing stamps.
- 1858: Canada began using the currency system.
- 1863: Emancipation Proclamation issued by Abraham Lincoln to free slaves in US confederate states
- 1873: Japan adopted the Gregorian calendar.
- 1876: Bass Brauri Red Triangle became the world’s first registered trademark symbol.
- 1877: Queen Victoria proclaimed Empress of India
- 1880: Money order system started in the country.
- 1891: Payment of old age pension started in Germany.
- 1892: Ellis Island opens as a US immigration inspection station – it would go on to be the gateway to the US for more than 12 million people
- 1894: Well-known scientist Satyendra Nath Bose was born in Kolkata.
- 1894: The Amateur Athletic Association of South Africa was established in Johannesburg.
- 1896: German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen announces his discovery of x-rays
- 1903: Edward VII was proclaimed Emperor of India.
- 1913: British Board of Film Censors gained the right to classify and censor films.
- 1915: Mahatma Gandhi was awarded the Viceroy by Saffron-e-Hind for his work in South Africa.
- 1919: Edsel Ford gave his father the status of head of the Ford Motor Company.
- 1925: Norway’s capital, Kristiania, is known by its old name Oslo.
- 1928: The first air-conditioned office in the US opens in San Antonio.
- 1948: New Jersey’s latest constitution comes into force.
- 1955: Bhutan issued the first postage stamp.
- 1958: European Economic Community, better known as the European Common Market starts operation
- 1971: Broadcasting of cigarette advertisements was banned on television.
- 1978: Air India Jumbo Jet Boeing-747 aircraft crash in Bombay (now Mumbai) killed 213 people.
- 1979: The United States and the People’s Republic of China established full diplomatic relations.
- 1986: Flavoland Province is established in the Netherlands.
- 1995: Austria, Finland and Sweden joined the European Union.
- 1996: Singapore becomes the second developed country in Asia after Japan.
- 1997: Emergency Alert System was introduced, which was approved in 1994.
- 2001: Kolkata was renamed as Calcutta, West Bengal in India.
- 2009: 61 people were killed in a nightclub fire in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2013: 10 people killed and 120 injured in stampede in Luanda, Angola.
The Most Important Historical events of January Month
01 JANUARY 02 JANUARY 03 JANUARY 04 JANUARY 05 JANUARY 06 JANUARY 07 JANUARY 08 JANUARY 09 JANUARY 10 JANUARY 11 JANUARY 12 JANUARY 13 JANUARY 14 JANUARY 15 JANUARY 16 JANUARY 17 JANUARY 18 JANUARY 19 JANUARY 20 JANUARY 21 JANUARY 22 JANUARY 23 JANUARY 24 JANUARY 25 JANUARY 26 JANUARY 27 JANUARY 28 JANUARY 29 JANUARY 30 JANUARY 31 JANUARY